Tuesday 8 April 2014

Check and Log: The Clothed Figure

Did you find it easy to approach the figure as a whole or were you distracted by details of the sitter's dress?

Details of the sitters dress were certainly distracting. On the coloured pencil drawing, however, I did feel that I successfully negotiated the distractions and managed to convey the weight of the figure and create a reasonably well-proportioned drawing. 

How did you create volume in the folds of fabric?

I used variation in tonal values to create volume in the folds of fabric. The deepest creases were where the darkest tones were found with the lightest areas being on the crests between the folds.

Does the finished drawing give a sense of the figure beneath the fabric?

Although I did find the folded fabric of the dressing gown quite distracting, I do think that the coloured pencil drawing does give a sense of the structure of the body beneath it. The ink drawing is not so successful in this respect.

How would you tackle a drawing like this again?

Instead of launching immediately into drawing the fabric I would probably look at measuring the relationships between the parts of  the future first such that I had a framework on which to superimpose the folds of fabric. that way I could be more confident in placing the folds in the correct position on the body such that the enhance the feeling of weight rather than distracting and interfering. So essentially I would try to see through the fabric to the figure underneath before starting to draw.


No comments:

Post a Comment