Friday 18 July 2014

Exercise: Line Drawing of the Whole Figure


The drawing below is my initial response to this exercise. I spent about an hour on this drawing which I did form live. I deliberately chose a foreshortened view as I am still trying to get to grips with foreshortening. I have used a variety of lines to form the figure, There are a variety of thicknesses of line from fineliner drawing pen to thick lines applied with brush and ink. The thicker lines encode areas of shadow without resorting to shading. I have used more lines and detail on the face and upper body and have used sketchy dry-brush lines on the furniture as I want the figure and face to be the focus. I have used short jagged lines to suggest the texture of the hair. I have really gone to town on the use of cross contour lines in fine drawing pen to describe the folds in the tee shirt and then have used minimal internal contour lines to describe the volume of the legs and feet.  What I like most about this drawing is that it communicates Luca's teenage 'attitude' and expression. The least successful aspect is still the foreshortening. I suspect that the foot which comes towards us should be bigger.


After this drawing I further experimented with the use of line via some 'oil transfer' and monotype/monoprint techniques. I did some rapid sketches from http://www.quickposes.com/  in the sections 'lying distortion' and 'please be seated' in order to continue to get experience of foreshortened views.

Monotype and India Ink


Oil Transfer Using Oil Pastel and Oilbar
Interesting optical effect of the green on
 red seems to vibrate

Oilbar Monotypes

Oilbar and India Ink

No comments:

Post a Comment