Friday 25 July 2014

Assignment 5: Further Sketches



As suggested in the book by Robert Kaupelis, I took one of the very simple drawings I had made and made some very tiny changes to it in a serial way. I did these drawings on tracing paper and laid each new drawing on top of the one preceding it. I was interested in how subtle alterations of lines and marks could alter the expression of the self portrait. The result is like a child's flicker book and a similar technique of serial drawing could be used to develop and animation.










The drawings below are sketches I made towards the end of the assignment process after an intensive couple of weeks of drawing. They are loosely based on photographs of my face squashed up against some glass (an homage - although I'm not sure that's the correct term- to Ana Mendieta and Jenny Saville - both of whom have photographed themselves distorted by glass.). I think these sketches are more confident (and less literal) than my initial exercise sketches and I have included them here for contrast.


No comments:

Post a Comment