Wednesday 22 January 2014

Project Form: Exercise- Essential Elements

In this exercise, tone was used to describe only the essential elements of a series of six poses of  ten minutes duration. I used my sons a model (he is watching T.V.). I also started off by using Derwent XL Charcoal which I had never tried before. This was a joy to use. It is very soft and so easy to work with. It can  be applied in broad strokes owing to the size of the blocks. I really liked this medium. Because I was thinking about tome I didn't go so slowly with measurement of proportions. I think the result is drawings which, although at times have body parts amputated, are more lively and interesting then those from the previous exercise

10 minutes from life. XL Charcoal
 In the first drawing the model's lower leg is missing but I quite like the composition. I think it has a good sense of how he was sitting in a slouched slightly hunched up position and he is intently looking at something out of the picture (T.V.)

10 minutes from life. XL Charcoal
In the second pose his arm was at a very awkward angle and I also succumbed to the temptation to fiddle with detail. His face wasn't quite right. His head actually seems to be small. I fiddled with it and ended up with a grey mess on the right side of his face. Not an entirely successful drawing.

10 minutes from life. XL Charcoal
 I am happier with drawing number 3 in this series - the standing pose. I think the vertical marks on the trousers help with the sense that he is standing firmly on the ground in a stable stance. His head and shoulder position are consistent with him looking at the T.V. which was lower than his standing position. The main problem with this drawing is that I didn't realise how easily the XL charcoal smudges. As each drawing was completed I took them off the easel and piled them up - unfortunately this one smudged quite badly around the head. 

10 minutes from life. XL Charcoal
On the fourth sketch I stuck more strictly to just essential elements. I did struggle with the foreshortening on the left leg and I don't think that leg is very convincing - I'm not satisfied that I resolved that problem in the end.
10 minutes from life. Coloured pencil
For the fifth drawing I changed the medium to coloured pencil. This drawing is quite successful in terms of the pose. I think you get the sense of the changing direction of the torso from the pelvis to the shoulders. The tonal differences are not as exciting as the XL charcoal drawings. His face is too small giving him a much more child-like look than he has in life- in reality his chin is squarer. I tried to correct this but did't resolve it.

10 minutes from life. Coloured pencil and drawing pen

By the final drawing I was getting quite tired. There are some problems with the proportions here. His head and arms seem too small relative to the length of his torso and the size of his feet. However, I do think you can see the twisting and tension in the torso that was occurring as he was watching something particularly stimulating and I'd made him sit on the wrong end of the sofa to watch it comfortably!

Overall, I think these tonal drawings are more successful than those from the previous exercise. I have found that I really like working on large paper with XL charcoal. I have also learnt that it is imperative to fix the XL charcoal before you place other sheets on top. I likes to move around.



No comments:

Post a Comment