Sunday 8 December 2013

Weekly Report: Week Commencing 2nd December

This week I was away from home working. My work was, therefore confined to my small sketchbook. I deliberately took a break from working on the assignment so that I would be refreshed on my return home.

I had noticed when drawing the statues that I really struggled with the hands and feet so started the week by drawing my own hands. They are a handy (excuse the pun) subject to sketch in a spare five minutes because I always have them with me.

"you need Hands":




I did feel I made some progress with these drawings. I especially like the fluidity of line on the pen drawings on the first picture collage - these were done almost blind with just an occasional peek at the paper. This encouraged me to do more blind drawings.

On December 5th Nelson Mandela Died so I was inspired to draw a portrait based on a newspaper photo.



The pencil  drawing was my first attempt. Although I do think there's something of a likeness there the drawing in general is unexciting. It looks stiff and inhibited (like the sort of drawing I dis as a self-conscious teenager). His neck is also much too thin so he resembles a lollipop. My immediate reaction to this was to need to loosen up by doing a blind drawing and a continuous line drawing to get that fluidity back. Neither of these are a good likeness to the subject but I like them better probably because I enjoyed the process of making them much more.

Knowing that in part 4 I will have to produce a self portrait also did a blind contour 'selfie'

I'd equate this more to a 'selfie' (self portraits generally taken with a mobile phone or similar for posting on social media) because of the rapidity of execution. However, the selfie is generally supposed to be flattering. This isn't a good likeness - my eyes are too close together, the mouth is too wide and I've given myself extra double chins. However, it does look like a reasonably proportioned face which is a start for such a rapid contour drawing.



No comments:

Post a Comment