Sunday 22 September 2013

Weekly Report: Week Commencing 16th September

I arrived back in Italy on Tuesday and feeling more exhausted than usual after a week of work and it took me longer to bounce back into daytime life than usual. By the end of the week I had completed the exercises on angular and linear perspective but I felt they were a bit half- hearted in their execution (not my usual full-on approach) but I lacked the energy and motivation to change this. I was also concerned about my anxious reaction to the fact there were a few people about when I had planned to draw outdoors (running home and hiding under the duvet). 

I decided that one way to tackle this anxiety might be to take my family with me when drawing in public so on Sunday 22nd we did a family trip into Naples. The results of this trip are written up under the separate entries 'drawing statues' and 'Study of a Townscape using Line'.  I do not think that this tactic was entirely successful however as Naples was not the best place to choose for a first excursion. It is a busy, frenetic  city and I had a lot of curious people coming to talk to me and comment on my worse. I think this may have worsened the anxiety and if anything, I felt even more self conscious having my family there. When I am anxious and self conscious my drawing is bad because I cannot relax and become absorbed in the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment