Saturday 31 August 2013

Exercise:Plotting Space Through Composition and Structure

The aim of this exercise was to think carefully about the composition of a landscape drawing and to establish a foreground, middle ground and background. The reference material to be used was the work of Poussin, Claude and Turner. Looking especially at Claude and Poussin it was clear that they often used trees in the foreground as a framing device. Their compositions are layered like the flat screens that are used to divide a stage set. I chose the first sketch I drew of the Roman bridge as I thought the large tree in the foreground  and the bridge itself were good framing devices. I drew a further quick sketch using a reference photo which was from a slightly different angle than my original viewpoint.



This first pencil sketch is too busy. I have not done what was asked here as there is too little differentiation between the foreground middle ground and background. There not enough difference in tone between the foreground and background and the background contains too much detail and texture so it doesn't recede sufficiently. I photocopied this sketch and drew in roughly where I intended the divisions between foreground, middle-ground and background to be:




I used a second photocopy with a grid drawn on it to help me enlarge the sketch into my A3 sketch pad. The notes suggested using graphite pencils and water soluble pencils. I interpreted this to mean water soluble coloured pencils as I felt that using colour would help with my differentiation of the foreground and background. I also used water soluble graphite pencils, drawing pen and a white wax crayon (for the railings on the bridge). I used brighter, bolder (not necessarily realistic) colour in the foreground. I also used the distinct blackness of the drawing pen to delineate details of texture and shadow. As I moved further back in the composition I decreased the proportion of colour and increased the proportion of graphite to dull the colours. Colour was used as a wash rather than distinct marks in the middle grounds and background. In the middle ground I stopped using the pen and started to employ hatching with graphite instead. I made some light suggestions of texture in this area with the graphite. The background is mainly a wash of water soluble graphite with a small amount of colour added. I like to make expressive marks in my work. I found it extremely difficult to resist the urge to put more detail into the background.




The outcome is OK but not great. I like some of the marks and texture that are happening in the foreground. There is a clear demarkation between the foreground tree on the left side and the middle ground of the bridge. However, the division between fore and middle ground on the right hand side seems somewhat arbitrary and there is an abrupt change from pen to graphite. I had tried to make the transition a bit less stark by using some thinner pen lines at the junction but that isn't entirely successful. 

I am pleased that the wax resist I used to put in the bridge railings has worked well. However, the background doesn't recede quite as much as I would have liked. I think the colours in the foreground and background are perhaps too similar. Maybe the background needs to be more blue or grey. I was afraid to put another layer of colour on the background though as I though this would make it even darker. Maybe it would be better to darken the river in the foreground instead.  I think I need to do more work on this concept with a few more small sketches as I find it difficult.

I hadn't intended to use quite as much water as I did so I worked in my sketch book. The paper had buckled somewhat. This isn't of major importance as it is only a sketch but it would have been a good idea to stretch the paper in this instance.

No comments:

Post a Comment