Wednesday 10 July 2013

Negative space in a plant


I complete this exercise on 27th April 2013.

This was a very difficult exercise. I chose to use a foliage plant which had a lot of leaves. This meant that the plant pot was almost completely obscured by the leaves. This meant that there were no other points of reference for the viewer. Despite this - I do still think it is readable by the viewer as a plant owing to the distinctive shapes of the leaves. 

Afterwards when I reflected on this exercise after drawing the plant in coloured pencil, I concluded that this exercise had been extremely helpful. I I hadn't looked at the negative shapes first it would have been easy to be distracted by the colourful patterning on the leaves and lose sight of the structure of the plant itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment