Friday 28 September 2012

10th September: Drawing cylinders

I'm in a motel in San Antonnio Texas and woke up very early because of jet lag so decided to practice a bit of drawing before heading to my conference.

I had limited subjects to choose from in the room, it was still dark outside and the lighting wasn't great. Thought I'd try my hand at some cylinders using my toiletries. The idea was daily practice to build my confidence rather than to produce a finished piece of work so I just used my small A5 sketch book.

I spent about half an hour on this. I was happiest with the first objects I drew which were the tallest cans of deodorant and hairspray at the back. I noticed that as time went on I became more tentative and ended up drawing multiple lines especially on the nail varnish pot and remover pads at the front. I realised that my concentration levels had dwindled. Maybe this is because the subject itself was not particularly exciting to me. I know that when I'm studying for written work and it's something I find less than entralling, it works best if I take it in 20 to 30 minute chunks and get up and walk around for 5-10 minutes in between. Note to self: If you notice your lines becoming more hesitatant or you are struggling to concentrate STEP AWAY FROM THE PAPER! Walk abaout a bit or run up and down then come back - but make sure you mark where you were sitting or standing.


No comments:

Post a Comment