Tuesday 19 August 2014

Reflection on Assignment 5 and the Course in General

I feel as though I have come a long way over the duration of the course. I have struggled at times with personal and health problems which has meant it has taken me longer to complete than I would have liked, but I'm glad I stuck with it. There is so much more that I would like to do/learn/study but I have completely run out of time for this course. I really want to get stuck in to my next course straight away. I am thinking of studying POP1 and then Introduction to visual culture (or vice versa) as some of the research I have done has been fascinating and I'd like to learn more.

I came to the course not having drawn for many many years .My knowledge of art history and contemporary art was minimal although I'd always had a vague idea that someday I'd like to find out about it. I have learnt an enormous amount both in terms of development of technical skills and in terms of understanding the context of drawings produced today. However, this course has only scratched the surface and has made me aware of just how little I know and how much more there is out there to investigate. I am filled with enthusiasm and would love to move forwards.

Reflecting on the current assignment I think that I have demonstrated technical skill to an adequate level. I have continued to research and analyse (although at times I have out of my depth and had to swim back to the shallow end). I hope that I have demonstrated creativity in my sketchbook experiments although I am acutely aware that my attempts to represent subjective experiences in my assignment have used somewhat clunky and unsophisticated symbolism - I am very new to this process so can't expect to run before I can walk.

I am quite nervous about the prospect of being assessed as I think like most beginners I am very close to and have a lot invested in the work. I have absolutely no experience of being assessed in a fine art context and how my work might compare with that of students in the first year at other universities. Ultimately I hope I have done enough to pass the course. However, the final mark received is much less important than the experience itself which I feel has been very worthwhile whatever the outcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment