Monday 2 June 2014

Assignment Four: Line and Shape

Preliminary Sketches

I started with some preliminary sketches in pen and ink and drawing pen on paper. I also drew with OHP pen on acetate as I like the way that the ink flows on the smooth surface. I tried to keep these drawings quite free at this stage. These were very rapid drawings as I moved around the model in his chair to draw from lots of different angles. I decided my favourite composition was with me sitting on the floor in front of the model in his chair with his foot coming towards me. This gave quite a dynamic shape and the foot coming towards me was interesting in terms of the relative scales. I though it might be possible to exaggerate the perspective on this in order to make it even more dynamic.

When I had selected my view I made a very simplified representation of this using a couple of pieces of garden wire which I held in place in my sketchbook using masking tape. I then placed another sheet of paper over this and made a rubbing of it using charcoal. The paper shifted slightly and resulted in a partially repeated line. I quite like this effect, which to me reads as movement of the figure.

Next I tried distorting the image using a distorted grid to re-draw a small sketch of the composition. This was not successful. I hadn't taken into account the effect that distortion I had put into the grid would have on his head. The resulting effect was quite comical. The model looked a bit like a teletubby - not the effect I was going for. I decided that any exaggeration of the composition would have to be done by eye.


Basic body shape created with wire
and masking tape
Rubbing in charcoal of the wire body shape





Attempt to distort and exaggerate the perspective
with the foot in the foreground

Trying out contour drawing in drawing pen and
sgraffito with wax crayon
I also experimented with various drawing techniques in my sketchbook. I tried putting contour lines on to the surface of the figure to try to indicate rises and falls in the fabric without resorting to shading - I decided to take this further and do a 'cross contour' drawing as I though this would be an alternative way to represent form with line alone. I also experimented with sgraffito but decided that this was actually more suitable for a tonal study.

Drawing with ink and syringe and with
string
I tried drawing the composition again using a needle and syringe with ink . In some places I sprayed ink onto the paper and in others I used the needle on the surface of the paper to create a variety of lines. I decided this was a good technique to use as it would help me to overcome the tendency to become too tight and controlled when drawing an assignment piece. This technique is not particularly controllable. This sketch, however was out of proportion - his legs were too short and head too big relative to his body.

I went on to produce two large scale drawings. One was a cross contour drawing and the other used the ink and syringe technique.
First try at cross contour drawing in sketchbook
preliminary tonal sketches underneath
The cross contour drawing I produced by drawing a basic shape of my figure on the page. I then referred to a photographic reference to try to decide where the contours of the figure and fabric would rise and fall. There was no outlining. I started from one side of the page and drew across the width of the page, allowing the line to deviate with the contours of the figure. This took a long time to achieve but I thoroughly enjoyed the process of doing this drawing. I find this type of drawing meditative - there wasn't any anxiety or too much thinking involved just calm and repetitive mark making. It is therapeutic. The final drawing doesn't have as much impact as I would like. However, I think there is scope to use this type of technique for certain parts of a larger drawing such as describing the folds in a piece of clothing.

Cross contour drawing using fine drawing pen on an A1 sheet of paper.

The final drawing was drawn using the ink and syringe technique. I paid more attention to the overall proportions of the figure this time and slightly exaggerated the advancement of the foot towards me (but only very slightly). I really struggled, however with the perspective on the floor tiles and the background in general. Originally they too were in line but I made an error with the perspective that I couldn't rectify so I ended up using tonal shading with charcoal for the background. This helped the line drawn and simplified figure to stand out. However, looking back at this now I don't like this background at all. It looks a bit half - hearted. I think I should either have taken the background further in terms of tonal variations or reworked the piece altogether. I'm happy with the figure in isolation. I think the proportions are OK and I also think his expression of frowning concentration is captured (he was watching sport on T.V.)


Assignment drawing: Ink drawn with a needle and syringe.
Background is charcoal.

No comments:

Post a Comment