Sunday 9 February 2014

Check and Log: Gesture

How well have you managed to capture the poses? What could be improved?

I think I have captured the poses quite well in most cases. However, some of the drawings are too detailed especially the first few of the two minute poses that I did and some of the left handed drawings in the 'energy' exercise. Improvements could be made by being much more selective in the number of lines drawn. This is why the drawings made with less controllable implements such as bits of string or syringes and needles full of ink seem to be more successful.

Do you think your figures balanced? If not where did you go wrong

I do think that my figures balanced. I don't get the uneasy feeling that they are about to topple over when I look at them

How did you go about conveying a sense of energy?

I tried various methods to do this. Mostly this consisted of not drawing static lines. Where lines or forms looked too clean or static if they were drawn in charcoal or graphite I broke up their continuity using a putty rubber.

I also drew multiple lines when drawing with my left hand. I was influenced in doing this by the sketches by John Singer Sargent of Spanish Dancers. Unfortunately this wasn't as successful as I hoped - it looks more like uncertainty in drawing with my left hand rather than confident representation of movement - I might have to revisit this with my right hand.

I enjoyed spraying ink onto the paper. This technique I do feel conveys energy as it involves energy and lack of control in the application - I sprayed the ink at high pressure through a very fine needle. The lines produced were flowing partly because the drawing implement is not in contact with the paper allowing freedom of movement.


No comments:

Post a Comment