Thursday 24 October 2013

Exercise: A limited palette study from your sketches


For this study I developed my sketches from the side-street in Cerreto Sannita but I admit that I did also have a photograph to refer to. I also realise that I haven't really obeyed the letter of the law when it comes to the instructions. I've used charcoal, white conte' and  two soft pastel to draw whereas the brief suggested conte' pencils or coloured pencils. The brief also talks about white paper and I've chosen a grey ground with white conte' for the lightest areas so it may be that my palette is not sufficiently limited. However, I decided to submit it anyway as I do think it gives a good sense of place and I like the simplicity of it. I enjoyed constructing the ironwork on the door from dark and light tones. 

The main negative with this larger study is that I had to draw in the texture of the wall because I used thick sandpaper as a base whereas in the sketchbook I'd created the texture from a combination of frottage and erasure of charcoal. I think the texture loses something as a result of this. You still get a sense that it is a rough - unplastered wall but it isn't as descriptive as the sketchbook piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment